The Akrotiri Lighthouse is among the oldest lighthouses in this part of the world and was constructed way back in 1892. It stands like a sentinel on the southern peninsula of Santorini island.
It stands like a sentinel towards the on the southern peninsula of Santorini island. The lighthouse of Akrotiri is conspicuous by its square shaped tower that looms above 10 meters from the lighthouse warden's house. Initially, the lighthouse was operated by petrol fuel. But with the introduction of electricity in the year 1988, it has been operated electronically and reportedly emits a radiant white light at intervals of 20 seconds. According to historical records, the Akrotiri Lighthouse was built by a renowned French trading company in the year 1892. The peripheral area surrounding the lighthouse is replete with vestiges of the Minoan period which is regarded by many scholars as the high water mark of the Aegean culture and civilization. The best time to visit the Akrotiri Lighthouse is during sunset. The view of the red molten ball dipping into the azure blue Aegean Sea makes for a kaleidoscopic vignette.
The sunset viewed from the stone wall around its countryard is one of the most beautiful on the island.
Thank you for reading!